Pages

Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Aussie Pie Guy

I was downtown for some work meetings which ended just after noon so I walked around looking for a place to eat and decided on the Aussie Pie Guy food cart. All the pies were $8 so I picked the one that sounded the best: Shane's Pie. I don't know who Shane is, but his pie is pretty good. It was described on the menu as "tender free range BC beef short rib and vegetables with a red wine au-jus and apricot hoisin sauce over mashed potatoes."

When I got my pie I was a little disappointed with the size. However, after biting into it I was thoroughly satisfied. I love pie crusts and this pie did not disappoint. At first I thought I would make a mess because the crust was thin and soft. However, the crust held up very well and did not break at all. In terms of taste, it was light, thin, flaky, and quite tasty. The pie was filled with mostly short rib and a little bit of everything else. I got quite a few hefty bits of short rib while eating it. I recall there being maybe 3 or 4 pieces of potatoes in the pie that I got. They don't try to pass off cheap filler ingredients which is definitely a plus. I do have to admit though that I am on a self-proclaimed "diet" so the pie size may not be sufficient for those of you with an average to above average appetite. If I weren't on my diet I would have gladly eaten two of these bad boys.

Taste-wise, the pie was quite good. The stuffing wasn't too salty and there was a mild sweet tanginess to the sauce, like traditional barbecue sauce. The mixture of the red wine au-jus and the hoisin sauce was a very good combination. I considered pouring on some hot sauce they had by the cart, but I decided against it for convenience (I ate alone and had to take my work bag everywhere).

Summary
Food: Good. Shane's Pie was very tasty and well-made.

Value: Average. The pies are good but a bit pricey due to the size.

Aussie Pie Guy on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment